Satellite Radio Blog

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sirius to Move Beyond Audio


Sirius Satellite Radio has some expansion plans in the works that involve adding non-audio services such as sports scores, stock quotes, cartoons and music videos. They'll be upgrading their satellite infrastructure to deliver the new features, which won't break any current-generation receiver equipment, but if users want to take advantage of the new functionality they'll have to upgrade to the next-generation of Sirius radios. Prices for the new premium services and hardware haven't been set, but the full rollout is expected in the second half of next year.

The new technology requires upgrades to Sirius' satellite uplink and terrestrial repeater system, but the company notes that it should not affect existing Sirius radios. Customers who wish to add the services once they become available will need to buy Sirius' next-generation satellite radios, said Jim Collins, a company spokesman.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds good to me. Wonder how they will treat people who bought a lifetime subscription?

    Satman

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I dont think they will do anything with the Lifetime sub.
    The Lifetime sub is for the life of the actual equipment. I almost signed up for it, but then found out about this "fine print".

    Im curious if Sirius is really going to gain some momentum. I have been an XM users since the beginning and love it but I will get Sirius when Stern starts his show on it. I even own some Sirius stock hoping they will do well but my gut tells me they are operating like a pre burst ".com" dumping millions in contracts (stern, nascar..etc)... I just dont see a mass subscription in the future to help recover the cost.

    IMO, Sirius does not sounds as good as XM either... Maybe XM will buy Sirius... I only wish.

    Cirocir

     

Post a Comment

<< Home